skip to main content


cartoon picture of a pill

Medication Policy

cartoon picture of a pill


When a student requires medication during the school day, the school nurse or trained medication assistant will administer these medications.


A “medication permission form” must be obtained from the school office and completed by the parent/legal guardian before a medication will be administered. The medication permission form and medication must be registered with the school principal, school nurse or medication assistant.


Prescription medication must be in the original container, properly labeled (pharmacy label) with the student’s name, prescriber’s name, date of prescription, name of medication, dosage, strength, time interval, route of administering, and the date of drug’s expiration when appropriate.


Prescription medication requires parental/legal guardian and healthcare provider’s written authorization on the “medication permission form.”


Non-prescription medication must be in the original container with label and dosage clearly visible. Non-prescription medication requires parental/guardian written authorization on the medication permission form. The delegating RN will determine if the non-prescription medication is appropriate and whether a provider is necessary.


All medications will be stored in a designated or locked area.

*Exception: Students diagnosed with chronic and/or serious health conditions e.g. asthma (requiring an inhaler), severe allergic reaction (requiring an Epi-Pen), diabetes (requiring Insulin), and/or other chronic conditions, may carry their medication on-person, if deemed appropriate by the delegating RN.


Self-administration will be allowed upon written authorization from the physician and parent/guardian on the medication permission form. No controlled medications will be kept on-person.


The parent/legal guardian should bring controlled medications to school. Controlled medications will be kept in a designated locked area. Children transporting medication is not advised.

Hale County Board of Education | 1115 Powers Street | Greensboro, AL 36744 | Ph: 334.624.8836